But holidays give Josh and I a chance to venture out a little bit and try a few new things. Irish food is something we both like. In our city, we have this very Irish little pub and the food is amazing! Their fish n chips are out of this world, their mac and cheese will have you swooning and their desserts are incredible. I’ve only been there once (back when I was pregnant with Christian) and I’ve been wanting to go back like crazy and try other entrees. I would say St. Patricks Day would be a great day to go, but the place is already crazy popular with the locals and on St. Patty’s Day….I think we would never get a table.
Catz in the Kitchen
This delicious and hearty stew slow cooker Irish stew recipe will (maybe?) have you imagining that you're sitting in an Irish Pub with the locals.
15 minPrep Time
10 hrCook Time
10 hr, 15 Total Time
- 1 lb stewing beef
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups peeled turnips, diced into 1/2 inch pieces (about 2 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 3 medium carrots)
- 1 1/2 cups peeled potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 2 medium)
- 1 whole onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- In a large skillet of hot oil, brown stewing beef in half batches. Drain off the fat. Set aside.
- In the bottom of your slow cooker, place cut turnips, carrots, potatoes, onion, tapioca and seasonings and stir together. Add in the browned beef and broth, stirring to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. Serve with drop biscuits or Irish soda bread.