Slow-Cooker Irish Stew
A delicious and hearty stew that will having you thinking that you're sitting in an Irish Pub with the locals.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 hours
Total time: 10 hours and 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 lb stewing beef
- 1 TBsp vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups peeled turnips, diced into 1/2 inch pieces (about 2 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 3 medium carrots)
- 1 1/2 cups peeled potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 2 medium)
- 1 whole onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- In a large skillet of hot oil, brown stewing beef in half batches. Drain off the fat. Set aside.
- In the bottom of your slow cooker, place cut turnips, carrots, potatoes, onion, and seasonings and stir together. Add in the browned beef and broth, stirring to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. Serve with drop biscuits or Irish soda bread.