|This recipe was my Grandma Annie’s that’s been passed down to my mom, and now to me. I’m not sure how similar it is to other candied yam recipes, but since I’ve only had one other version that my Mother. In. Love. makes with sweet potatoes, I’m not really one to know. What I do know is that when I’m celebrating the holidays with my mom, this dish better be on the table.|
For as long as I can remember, my mom has always made these yummy yams for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It was the one dish that I looked forward to more than any of the others. It just isn’t a holiday dinner without them.
The best part of this dish is undoubtedly those beautiful toasted marshmallows on top, but hidden underneath that toasted fluff, are soft, buttery, sugary yams! There isn’t a part of this holiday favorite that isn’t to be loved. It’s easy to prepare and the marshmallows are easy to toast (as long as you keep your eye on the oven and don’t walk away. Heehee, that’s always the tricky part with holiday cooking, isn’t it?
For our family, nothing says Thanksgiving quite like this simple but insanely yummy and craveable Candied Yams recipe!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2-3 cans (28 oz ea) yams, drained (purple can)
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
- 3 tbsp butter, cut into cubes
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a casserole dish . Cut yams into slices and lay on the bottom of your dish.
- Sprinkle ground nutmeg over the potatoes, crumble the brown sugar over the potatoes and dot the butter over the brown sugar. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until hot all the way through.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven and turn on the broil. Meanwhile, top the dish with mini marshmallows making sure there aren't any uncovered spots. Return dish to oven and broil for 3-5 minutes or until the marshmallows are toasted. DO NOT WALK AWAY!
- Serve right away.
Some of the links in this post contain affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my link.