I always feel like I'm getting away with something when I make chili because Josh loves it. He's not so much a soup person, but he does enjoy a good bowl of chili during the colder months and if I can serve up some bowls, heaping with yummy ingredients, then I'm a happy girl.
I always make chili on Halloween. I feel like it is the perfect dinner to have my little ones eat before they hit the streets trick or treating. In Oregon, we're lucky if it doesn't rain on Halloween night, but it is almost always very cold. But with warm chili in my kids bellies, I doubt they ever feel the cold!
I actually made this chili last year for Halloween and loved it. Then I lost the recipe and I couldn't remember where I found the original. I blame last year's pregnancy brain. I was misplacing and forgetting a million things last year. But, I came across the recipe about a week or two ago when I was cleaning out one of desk drawers and I was so excited to make it again.
It was just as good as I remembered and made a ton of food, just like the last time I made it. I remember that because all of Grace and Eden's friends who went trick or treating with us came back to our house famished and there was hardly any left in the crockpot. That's when you know you've made a good recipe!
I love the chunky texture of this one. Its got beans and browned turkey, with cubed sweet potatoes all mixed together in a spiced tomato broth. It is the perfect chili for any cold night!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato and Turkey Chili
Flavorful sweet potatoes make this chili the star of the show. Simply omit the meat and you've got yourself a great vegetarian chili as well!
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 8-10 hrs
Total time: approx 8 hrs 15 min
Yield: 10 servings
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, with liquid
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, with liquid
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey breast, browned
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a medium-large skillet, brown turkey breast until cooked through. Pour into slow-cooker.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients into slow-cooker and stir. Place lid on slow-cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Serve alongside cornbread for a complete meal!