My goal of making one pie and one cake a month is going pretty well, don't ya think? I'm knocking out my second pie for the month! Whoop Whoop! Remember I told you about all of those strawberries I bought that I had to use up? Well, this pie is just another way for me to use up some of those delicious strawberries I had hanging out in my fridge.
I love pies with a graham cracker crust! Maybe it's because I've been making my own since our first year of marriage 9 1/2 years ago, or maybe it's because they are almost impossible to screw up. I think that's what I like about them. I can always make a graham cracker crust and have it turn out exactly as I wanted it too. Now pastry pie crusts, those are a little tricker for me.
While I was making the pie, I had my little sidekick Gracie, sitting across from me at the kitchen counter. Grace wants to be a pastry chef when she gets older so she likes hanging around watching me bake things up. Also, I think she likes licking the spatulas and bowls after I'm done with them. She's my little taste-tester!
Seriously, this pie is one luscious showstopper! Go, make it now!
Strawberry and Chocolate Cream Pie
Sourced from Oh Sweet Day
Decadent dark chocolate whipped filling, covered in strawberries! What's not to love?
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Bake Time: 10 minutes, plus 3 hours or more of chilling
Total Time: 3 hours and 45 minutes
For a 9 inch pie crust:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 TB cocoa powder
1 cup whipping cream
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chunks, melted and cooled slightly
7-10 fresh strawberries, halved
2 TB powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch pie plate and set aside.
- For the pie crust, combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and cocoa powder and mix it together with a spoon until the ingredients are incorporated and the crumbles resembles the appearance of wet sand. Pour the crumbs into your pie plate and with the back of a large spoon or your hand, press firmly on the bottom of the plate and up the sides to create the pie crust. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the filling, in a double boiler, melt the chocolate till smooth and velvety. Set aside to cool slightly. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl if using an electric mixer) with whisk attachment, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Remove the the whipping cream from the bowl and transfer to a small bowl and keep cold in the fridge.
- In the same bowl you used for the whipping cream, using the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese until soft and creamy. Add sugar, vanilla, and melted chocolate, continue beating until completely combined and no traces of cream cheese remain.
- Gently fold in 1/3 of the whipped cream into the cream cheese to lighten the mixture. Add the remaining cream into the mixture, folding until completely incorporated.
- Pour the cream mixture into the cooled crust, smoothing the top with a spatula. Arrange strawberries on top of pie.
- Refrigerate the pie until set, about 3 hours or overnight.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top of the pie before serving.